Tuesday 11 January 2011

My Recipes

I will post a couple of recipes I am making today. Firstly I'm making my usual Hot Cross Buns. I've adapted the original recipe, instead of currants and peel I add raisins and I add more flour than the original recipe because I found the mix too sticky.

HOT CROSS BUNS

550g white bread flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
75g butter or margarine
1 sachet yeast
50g sugar
175g raisins
300ml warm milk
2 beaten eggs

sugar glaze
1tbsp sugar dissolved in
1tbsp hot water

Place salt, mixed spice, sugar, butter, milk and eggs in bread maker.
Add flour, yeast and raisins.
Set breadmaker to dough mix and rise.
Remove risen dough from breadmaker and divide into 12 buns.
Put on a greased tray and let rise again for 20-30 minutes.
Place in preheated oven gas 6 or fan oven 180 for 15-20 minutes.
Brush with sugar glaze while hot.



I'll be back later with my second recipe for today. Just going to my voluntary job now. See you later.

Tonight for tea we are having Creamy beef and potato layer and I'm doing a veggie version with Quorn for myself.

CREAMY BEEF AND POTATO LAYER

1tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
450g minced beef
4 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
frozen leaf spinach, thawed (as much or as little as you like)
salt & pepper
900g potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
142ml carton double cream
150g cheddar cheese, grated (or any cheese you like)

Heat oil and add onion and garlic, fry until softened.
Add mince, fry until browned.
Add passata and sun-dried tomatoes. I then put mixture in slowcooker and cook on low for a few hours but you can cook on hob for 30 minutes.
Add plenty of salt and pepper and the squeezed out spinach to the beef mixture and cook for a further 10 minutes. 
While beef is cooking cook potatoes in boiling water for 10 minutes.
Drain potatoes well.

Place half beef mixture in an ovenproof dish and cover with 1/2 of the potatoes and 1/2 the cream and 1/2 the cheese.

Spoon over the rest of the beef mixture and top with the remaining potatoes.
Pour remaining cream over potatoes and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven gas6 or 200C.


 We had this with some steamed carrots and peas and was left with a portion for the freezer or for someones lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment